Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Mama

I was excited about seeing this "horror" film because so many of the critics gave it rave reviews and said it was truly scary.  A creepy and scary entity named "Mama" has been caring for two abandoned young girls in a deserted cabin in the woods. However, midway through, once I got a look at "Mama" I was done.  It was no longer a least bit scary and I found myself laughing instead of being scared. Not good when you're laughing at a creature in a horror movie.  Sort of the like the movie "The Descent", where these explorers in a cave keep having catastrophes, and meanwhile are getting stalked and lost.  I was initially in love with both movies because of the creepiness power of the unknown, but once we saw the stupid and not scary creatures lurking in the cave (or Mama), both were no longer scary, only stupid.  "Mama" had potential and could have gone further.  Part of the creepy story line was interesting.  Reminds me of Munger Road.  Again, "Munger Road" started with potential (dark, eerie scenes and mysterious lights in a video camera playback) but just never got scary.  If they could only take the 10 minute scary clips of certain movies, combine them, and do away with the silliness, there could be a truly terrifying movie.  Somebody scare me, PLEASE!

No comments:

Post a Comment